Write a 2-page descriiption, formal analysis, interpretation, critique of “The Last of the Buffalo, 1888” by Albert Bierstadt. More of an art critique than a research paper.
• Describe the form of the artwork (i.e., is it a drawing, photograph, installation, or sculpture?)
• Describe the material qualities of the work (i.e. what is its media, or what is it made of?) • If the artwork is representational, describe its subject matter: objects, people, setting, etc.
• Describe the elements of the work (i.e., line, movement, light, space).
• How does our eye move around the artwork?
• Identify some of the similarities throughout the work (i.e., repetition of lines, shapes, etc.).
• Identify some of the points of emphasis in the work and how they were created (i.e., points of high contrast, complementary color, implied line). • If the work has figures, what are the relationships between or among them?
• Describe the expressive qualities you find in the work. What expressive language would you use to describe the qualities (i.e., raw, rough, refined, colorful, sad, funny)?
• Does the work remind you of other things you have experienced (i.e., analogy or metaphor)?
• What is the information you found about the artist, artwork, or time period that supports your interpretation?
• How does the work relate to other ideas or events in the world and/or in your other studies?
Judgment or Evaluation
Present your opinion of the work’s success or failure:
• What qualities of the work make you feel it is a success or failure?
• Compare it with similar works that you think are good or bad.
• What criteria can you list to help others judge this work? For example, does it have superior craftsmanship or does it convey important ideas?
• How original is the work? Why do you feel this work is original or not original?