The invention of motion picture cameras and the establishment of film production companies
began in the 1890’s. As the medium progressed from silent films to talkies, music always played
an integral part throughout its development. An original music score written by a skilled composer
enhances the film and is an essential aspect of the movie going experience.
Students are required to write a paper discussing a Film Score (not songs) from a movie of your
For example, if you watched the movie “Star Wars”, you would talk about the film score that John
Williams composed. The film score is the background music that serves the film and helps the
visual tell the story.
Or if you choose the movie “Titanic”, you would discuss James Horner’s film score, not the big hit
song “My Heart Will Go On” that Celine Dion sang.
Just remember that I don’t want you to talk about any songs that might be used in the movie. For
this reason, musicals should be avoided since they are primarily song based.
There are many films to review besides the obvious ones, so be sure to check out the link at the
bottom of the assignment prompt for ideas.
This assignment is worth 5 points.
Discuss the following in your paper:
• Concise plot synopsis of the film (No more than three sentences)
• Brief background of the composer
• How the score supports the movie
• Describe the score using appropriate musical terminology. As you listen to the music think
about musical terms such as tempo, dynamics, phrasing, texture, melody, harmony,
rhythm and emotion
Remember, when writing your paper, the movie plot and the composer’s background should be
brief. Focus on how the film score serves the film and helps the visual tell the story.
• Name your file using this format: Last Name_First Name_RP_MUS 116
• Minimum 2-pages typed, 12-point font, double-spaced, 1-inch margins
• Include your name, the instructor’s name, the course number and the due date
• Write in your own words, check your grammar and spelling and do not plagiarize
• A bibliography is optional; use footnotes when appropriate
All Research Papers should be turned in as PDF. I’ll also accept Microsoft Word format (.doc or
.docx) or Rich Text Format (.rtf).
Honesty is the foundation of good academic work. Follow this advice:
• Do not submit papers that have been done for a previous class
• Never submit papers which have been prepared or “co-authored” by others
• Don’t copy ideas, data or exact wording without citing your source
1. Click on the Submit Assignment button and a new file upload box will open
2. Click the Choose File button
3. When the file window appears, locate and attach your file from your saved location
4. Click the Submit Assignment button to successfully attach your document
5. View the confirmation of your assignment submission